Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bittersweet


"The idea of bittersweet is changing the way I live, unraveling and re-weaving the way I understand life. Bittersweet is the idea that in all things there is both something broken and something beautiful, that there is a sliver of lightness on even the darkest of nights, a shadow of hope in every heartbreak, and that rejoicing is no less rich when it contains a splinter of sadness. Bittersweet is the practice of believing that we really do need both the bitter and the sweet, and that a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul. Bitter is what makes us strong, what forces us to push through, what helps us earn the lines on our faces and the calluses on our hands. Sweet is nice enough, but bittersweet is beautiful, nuanced, full of depth and complexity. Bittersweet is courageous, gutsy, earthy."

Shauna Niequist


I love this excerpt from the book Bittersweet, but the rest of the book is amazing as well! Shauna also has another book that is a great read; Cold Tangerines

1 comment:

  1. I actually need to start a new book- I might try Cold Tangerines. THanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!